Safe in Stafford Business Grant
The Safe in Stafford Business Grant is a new $500,000 grant program to assist small businesses in Stafford County affected by COVID-19. The program is funded using federal CARES Act funds provided to the County of Stafford and will be administered by the Stafford County Economic Development Authority (EDA).
Grant funds will reimburse the costs of PPE or other Covid-19 related equipment or marketing.
WHAT YOU NEED TO APPLY
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED.
The Safe in Stafford Business Grant was created to assist small businesses in Stafford County affected by COVID-19. Announced in August, we are opening up a second application window with revised eligibility requirements. The revised Safe in Stafford program has an available grant balance of $100,000. The program is funded using federal CARES Act funds provided to the Stafford County of Stafford and is administered by the Stafford County Economic Development Authority (EDA).
Grant funds will reimburse the costs of PPE, other Covid-19 related equipment, or the costs associated with COVID-19 marketing initiatives. Priority will be given to those applicants that have invested in technology to facilitate e-commerce and/or virtual business operations or professional services related to the design and construction/alteration of the built environment necessary to promote physical and social distancing, as well as the actual costs for alterations of technology changes or improvements the business made (purchased) to respond to Covid-19. Documentation of costs and installation of equipment or PPE must be provided. Priority will be given to customer-facing businesses (retail or service).
The grant will be for an amount of up to $5,000 and can either (a) reimburse costs of PPE or other Covid-19 related equipment purchased and/or installed between March 1, 2020 through July 31, 2020, (b) reimburse for proposed future PPE or other Covid-19 related equipment purchased between August 1, 2020 through October 31, 2020, or (c) or the costs associated with COVID-19 marketing initiatives. Reimbursement will be for qualifying and verified costs/purchases which include, in priority order:
- Technology to facilitate e-commerce and/or virtual business operations
- Professional services related to the design and construction/alteration of the built environment necessary to promote physical and social distancing, as well as the actual costs for alterations
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Other equipment and supplies to promote health and safety
- Implementation of COVID-19 marketing initiatives including though not limited too
- Updating marketing channels or acquiring new advertising/communications with integrations COVID-19 specific messaging. For example, website, social media, mailers, broadcast, digital, or print.
- Businesses implementing new online systems such as online ordering, mobile app, or curbside pickup reservations.
- Paid marketing or advertising efforts reaching consumers using post COVID-19 messaging and communications.
- New and creative ways to sell your products and reach your customers.
- Physically located within Stafford County
- The business may not have more than 50 full-time employees
- Business must be registered (current) with Stafford County Commissioner of Revenue’s Office and current on all Stafford County taxes prior to March 1, 2020
- Business must have been established and operational within Stafford County for at least the previous 12-months (July 2019 – July 2020)
- Stafford County for-profit businesses and on-profit organizations are eligible to apply (lodging establishments are not eligible). Franchise establishments are not eligible unless locally (Stafford County resident) owned; Business that have been awarded a Safe in Stafford Grant are not eligible to reapply. Businesses that were denied a Safe in Stafford Grant are eligible but must meet all other eligibility requirements.
DOCUMENTATION REQUIRED OF APPLICANT:
All application shall be submitted via online (https://gostaffordva.com/coronavirus/). Applications received via email, mailed and/or hand delivered will not be accepted.
- IRS Form W-9
- Q2 2020 Federal Payroll Tax Form (IRS form 941)or Form 1040-ES for Sole Proprietors.
- Copies of paid receipts, invoices, purchase orders, etc. of the related equipment purchased and/or installed PPE or other COVID-19 costs
- Narrative of proposed PPE, other COVID-19 qualifying costs/purchases or proposed marketing initiatives (if applying for future reimbursement of eligible activities)
- A cost estimate, bid, and/or invoice for proposed PPE, other COVID-19 qualifying costs/purchases or proposed marketing initiatives (if applying for future reimbursement of eligible activities)
GENERAL INFORMATION AND PROCESSES:
All grant applications must be submitted via the electronic application which can be found at https://gostaffordva.com/coronavirus/. Applications received via email, mailed and/or hand delivered will not be accepted. All requested application materials must be submitted for full grant consideration.
If there are more qualified applications than there are grants funds allocated, applications will be awarded in the order a complete application was received.
Businesses which received a Safe in Stafford CARES Act grant during the first application window are not eligible to apply for a second grant.
Applications will be accepted starting Monday, September 21, at 9:00 am. Once the grant application window closes on Monday, September 28, at 4:00 pm, an internal review process will begin. Your application will be assigned to a member of the Stafford County Department of Economic Development and Tourism Staff for review and determination the businesses meets the minimum requirements for eligibility. A member of the Stafford County ED&T staff will contact you directly regarding any questions/concerns which arise during your grant application review. Businesses which received a Safe in Stafford CARES Act grant during the first application window are not eligible to apply for a second grant.